- Hartmann, A., J.F. Linn. 2007. Scaling up. A path to development. 2020 Focus Brief on the World’s Poor and Hungry People. IFPRI, International Food Policy Research Institute.
This paper was prepared for a policy consultation process coordinated by IFPRI and focused on the World’s Poor and Hungry People.The paper looks at several issues related to scaling up: To scale up or not to scale up; What the building blocks are of scaling up; Drives for scaling up; Lessons learnt.
- Hartmann, A., J.F. Linn. 2008. Scaling up through aid – The real challenge. Policy Brief 20008-03. Wolfensohn Center for Development. The Brookings Institution. Washington DC.
This policy brief reports on the findings of an in-depth review of the literature and practice of scaling up development interventions and focuses on the role that aid donors can play in supporting scaling up for effective development.
- Hartmann, A., J.F. Linn. 2008. Scaling up. A framework and lessons for development effectiveness from literature and practice. Working Paper. Wolfensohn Center for Development.
Based on a review of scaling up literature and practice, this paper develops a framework for the key dynamics that allow the scaling up process to happen. The authors explore the possible approaches and paths to scaling up, the drivers of expansion and of replication, the space that has to be created for interventions to grow, and the role of evaluation and of careful planning and implementation.
- Edwards, M., D. Hulme. 1992. Scaling up NGO impact on development: learning from experience. In: Development in Practice 1992: 2-2.
Save the Children Fund (UK) and the Institute for Development Policy and Management at the University of Manchester convened a workshop in January 1992, to explore the lessons learned so far by the development community in relation to ‘scaling up’. The paper is the reflecting on the possible strategies for scaling up based on the workshop outcomes.
- World Bank. 2003. Scaling-Up of Good Practices in Rural Development. A working paper to support implementation of the World Bank’s Rural Development Strategy. Agriculture & Rural Development Department. Washington DC.
Scaling-Up the Impact of Good Practices in Rural Development. World Bank 2003.A working paper to support implementation of the World Bank’s
Rural Development Strategy.
- Mattina, T. 2006. Money isn’t everything: The challenge of scaling up aid to achieve the Milllennium Development Goals in Ethiopia. IMF working paper.
This paper outlines the challenge of developing an operational macroeconomic framework in Ethiopia consistent with the large envisaged scaling up of aid to achieve the Millennium Development Goals (MDGs).
- Accelerating progress towards the Millennium Development Goals through inclusive business. Delivering results: moving towards scale. 2010. Report on an inclusive business dialogue, held on September 21st 2010, during the UN Summit on the Millennium Development Goals.
The report defines inclusive business, offers examples, and reflects on the challenges.
- IFAD. 2010. IFAD’s Capacity to Promote Innovation and Scaling Up. IFAD Corporate level evaluation. Document of the International Fund for Agricultural Development (IFAD). Report No. 2240.
At its Ninety-fifth Session in December 2008, the Executive Board requested the Office of Evaluation (IEO) to undertake a corporate-level evaluation of IFAD’s capacity to promote pro-poor innovation.
- Jenkins, B., E. Ishikawa. 2010. Scaling Up Inclusive Business: Advancing the Knowledge and Action Agenda. Washting DC: International Finance Corporation and the CSR Initiative at the Harvard Kennedy School.
The report is based on 14 IFC client case studies and draws upon other research undertaken by IFC and the CSR Initiative at the Harvard Kennedy School on inclusive business, including recent research supported by the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation.
- Wilson, D., K. Wilson, C. Harvey (eds). 2011. Small farmers, big change. Scaling up impact in smallholder agriculture. Practical Action Publishing Ltd in association with Oxfam GB.
- Norder, J. 2011. Investigating and investing in up-scaling in agriculture? Looking at the role of DSO/OO in stimulating up-scaling.
This policy document overviews dominant approaches to up-scaling of successful innovations in the field of agriculture. It gives specific recommendations for the DSO/OO department of the Dutch Ministry of Foreign Affairs to continue to support up-scaling in practice.
- International Finance Corporation. 2011. Scaling up access to finance for agricultural SMEs. Policy review and recommendations. Washington DC.
This policy review and recommendations document is designed to elaborate on the recommendations of the G-20 SME Finance Sub-Group specifically as they relate to access to finance for agricultural SMEs. It is meant to contribute to the formulation of an agricultural SME finance policy framework, which shall be implemented by facilitating the development of concrete national action plans.